We are here to change the conversation about LD/ADHD education. Our students are bright, creative, and unique learners who deserve an environment in which to thrive, not just survive.
Although all of our students navigate the same academic day, each of our students is enrolled in classes based on learning strengths and areas where more support is needed. We offer a challenging, hands-on curriculum that reawakens a love of learning, while embracing and celebrating each student's unique strengths and learning pathways.
So what makes the TSS difference?
- An intense focus on language-arts - depending on age and ability, our students receive up to 150 minutes per day of language-based instruction in tutorial, literature/humanities, and writing classes
- Our entire faculty is trained in Orton-Gillingham and mentored by a full-time AOGPE Fellow on staff, the best evidence-based approach for remediating students with language-based learning differences, like dyslexia. The Southport School's Orton-Gillingham Instructional and Training Programs is accredited by the Orton-Gillingham Academy.
- Likewise, each teacher and administrator is trained in Lindamood Bell’s Visualizing and Verbalizing® method, an internationally acclaimed program for language comprehension.
- Each student is programmed according to ability with respect to age, providing the capacity to challenge each one in areas of strength while remediating areas of difficulty.
- Language-based instruction across the curriculum, including a Language Clinician who works within the academic classes, maximizing the effectiveness of our program.
- A proprietary research and evidence-based Executive Function coaching model woven throughout the curriculum.
- Technology is embedded in a meaningful way throughout the program so that students can access content commensurate with their intelligence and develop strategies to maximize effort, creativity and productivity.
- Each of our students is unique, but they are all struggling with similar challenges in school - reading, comprehension, and/or executive functions - meaning we know how to teach all of our students effectively, with no pull-outs or modified programs, in an environment in which they feel like they belong.
- We are passionate about what we do - we hold a firm belief in the potential that resides in all of our students, and a mindset that we need to reach each student and then deliver the best research and evidence-based instruction to help them unlock their potential.