Vision, Mission, Approach & Values
At The Southport School, our vision is a world where people with language-based learning differences and ADHD are embraced for their strengths and potential, and where all teachers have access to training in best educational practices and current research.
Our mission is to provide transformative educational experiences that have lifelong impact on our students as well as thought leadership that engages the learning differences community.
The Southport School is dedicated to creating an environment for LD and ADHD students in grades K through 8th that recognizes individual strengths, promotes independent thinking, develops self-esteem and self-advocacy, and supports a successful transition for continued academic achievement. In our coeducational elementary, middle, and summer school programs in Southport, CT, students can safely take risks and are championed by a faculty that is student-focused and uses research and evidence-based approaches. Through our teacher training, professional development, and community outreach programs, we inform families, educators, and other professionals on how to implement those practices in the lives of people with language-based learning differences and ADHD.
- Expertise Train educators to the highest levels using research and evidence-based approaches.
- Creativity Exercise and embrace the creative minds of our students, faculty, and staff.
- Empowerment Challenge all community members to develop their individual strengths, self-esteem, and self-advocacy skills.
- Engagement Engage our students as learners, and the broader world as influencers and informers on learning differences and ADHD.
- Cerebrodiversity Foster an understanding and appreciation of the value of different kinds of minds.